from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

  • transitive v. To provide with interleaves or an interleaf.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • v. To insert (pages, which are normally blank) between the pages of a book
  • v. To intersperse (something) at regular intervals between the parts of a thing
  • v. To allocate (things such as successive segments of memory) to different tasks

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • transitive v. To insert a leaf or leaves in; to bind with blank leaves inserted between the others.
  • transitive v. To insert something alternately between the parts of.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • To insert a leaf or leaves in: as, to interleave a book with blank leaves or with illustrations.
  • To insert between leaves: as, to interleave engravings, or blank leaves for notes or additions, in a book.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • v. intersperse alternately, as of protective covers for book illustrations
  • v. intersperse the sectors on the concentric magnetic circular patterns written on a computer disk surface to guide the storing and recording of data
  • v. provide (books) with blank leaves


Sorry, no etymologies found.



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.