from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Marked by interest in or preoccupation with oneself or one's own thoughts as opposed to others or the environment; shy or reserved.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Possessing the characteristic property of an introvert. Preferring the internal, satisfied with self, lacking interest or comfort in social interactions.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. examining one's own sensory and perceptual experiences. Contrasted with
- adj. marked by concern predominantly with oneself or one's own feelings. Contrasted with
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. given to examining own sensory and perceptual experiences
Sorry, no etymologies found.
His body language is basically the subject of the film: his arms swinging close to his chest, his expression introverted and sensitive, his eyes stoic, his full pouting mouth on the verge of a small ironic smile.
Gadhafi was known as an introverted, somewhat arrogant figure who read more books than the other officers and insisted on the ideas he learned in their pages.
You know, looking at the responses, I'm starting to wonder how many people online, or at least here, would identify as introverted vs. extroverted.
There are those of us who, whether in Second Life or First Life, spend a majority of their free time alone; and while in a broad sense those people can be described as introverted, the experience is different for everyone who falls into that category.
"The common portrayal of computer geeks seems to be that they are socially awkward and introverted, which is ironic because some of the most worldly, socially informed and adept people I know happen to be computer geeks," he says.
Never Eat Alone is far superior for teaching the fundamentals of how to network and build relationships - I suspect that book's author to be highly introverted, which is actually a good thing for an introvert learning how to build such relationships.
Those drawn to interacting with others through a screen would once have been called introverted or shy.
In concerto performances, he's a banger, a kind of introverted banger.
Only two heirs, both orphans, one kind of introverted, the other ...
I think that Bernanke is by nature kind of introverted and shy but that belies a self-confidence.