from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A person, animal, or object believed to bring good luck, especially one kept as the symbol of an organization such as a sports team.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. something thought to bring good luck
- n. something, especially a person or animal, used to symbolize a sports team, company, organization or other group
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A person who is supposed to bring good luck to the household to which he or she belongs.
- n. Anything that brings good luck; especially, an animal kept by a group, as a sports team, to serve as a symbol and to bring luck.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of the nature of a mascot; having luck-bringing qualities; lucky: as, mascot snakes; a mascot dog or goat.
- n. A thing supposed to bring good luck to its possessor; a person whose presence is supposed to be a cause of good fortune.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a person or animal that is adopted by a team or other group as a symbolic figure
Stanford Cardinal (their mascot is a tree – meaning they only scare the minions of Isengard)
Reading up on Uga on wikipedia, the mascot is air conditioned and sits on bags of ice at games because the breed is susceptible to heart stroke.
I think it has something to do with the fact that their mascot is a sock monkey.
But don't dare suggest that being a mascot is among the worst job in sports.
Pine they got what they call a mascot, bein 'a tame b'ar; an' up at
BTW, the term mascot was never applied to The Chief except by those attempting to disparage his image. "
The newly elected mascot is the Rebel Black Bear, a cuddly man-sized bear who will wear a variety of costumes.
The mascot is always a student who wins the role through tryouts.
The Horned Frogs are legit and their mascot is freaking sweet!
Their official mascot is the bulldog, which probably puts them in the D-F grade range.