from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Used as a modifier before a noun: my boots; my accomplishments.
- adj. Used preceding various forms of polite, affectionate, or familiar address: My friend, you are so right.
- adj. Used in various interjectional phrases: My word! My goodness!
- interj. Used as an exclamation of surprise, pleasure, or dismay: Oh, my! What a tiring day!
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- pro. Belonging to me.
- interj. Used to express surprise, shock or amazement.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- Of or belonging to me; -- used always attributively; ; -- mine is used in the predicate. See mine.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Belonging to me: as, this is my book: always used attributively, mine being used for the predicate. Formerly mine was more usual before a vowel, and my before a consonant, but my now stands before both: as, my book; my own book; my eye.
I could write my own biography on a single page, but as I say, my writing days are past ...
There is a very good chance that as the sun sets on this Sunday, as I shower, wash my hair, brush off the crumbs from the bed (as any sane person must do), I will end the day the same way I ended the day yesterday; my head buried in the pillows, desperate for your smell, your touch, your laugh, your smile.
My original post was created after I read something on Larry's OF Blog of the Fallen blog, although my comments weren't directly at his post..my post was just "inspired" by it.
Perhaps it had something to do with my recent attempts to go AWOL in the County (okay, the last one was nine years ago, but that's still recent by _my_ standards).
I looked at the books on the shelves, which I still shared with my father: my music books, of which I was still very fond, among them Twenty Royal Phantasies for Three Viols; my books on painting, one of which, a translation of Lomazzo's delightful A tracte containing the Artes of curious Paintinge, had shepherded my own earliest assays at drawing; and my parents 'volumes of works by the most noble Sir Philip Sidney.
I could acknowledge that though it was an enormous part of my life, and the home of some of the people I love most, it was no longer *my* home, and I just had to deal with it.
This girl leans over, as I wonder if this is my discovery of a third nipple and will it lactate, and adjusts…..my necklace.
I requested a copy of my 10 years of lab results and consult reports from my local healthcare network and then found some records of 4 other people in *my* file.
I'm certainly not about to read articles that try to teach my how to email _my_ friends and _my_ coworkers.
Meera, I make kids speak to my plants..n wish to share something, whether u find it crazy or not..my gardenias bloomed only once, after that it was just shedding leaves,etc..