from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A substance used to color materials. Also called dyestuff.
- n. A color imparted by dyeing.
- transitive v. To color (a material), especially by soaking in a coloring solution.
- intransitive v. To take on or impart color.
- idiom of the deepest dye Of the most extreme sort.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A colourant, especially one that has an affinity to the substrate to which it is applied.
- v. to colour with dye
- n. Alternative spelling of die.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Color produced by dyeing.
- n. Material used for dyeing; a dyestuff.
- n. Same as die, a lot.
- transitive v. To stain; to color; to give a new and permanent color to, as by the application of dyestuffs.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To fix a color or colors in the substance of by immersion in a properly prepared bath; impregnate with coloring matter held in solution.
- To overspread with color, as by effusion; tinge or stain in general.
- An obsolete spelling of die.
- n. Coloring matter in solution; a coloring liquor.
- n. Color; hue; tint; tinge.
- n. An obsolete spelling of die.
- n. See basic color.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. color with dye
- n. a usually soluble substance for staining or coloring e.g. fabrics or hair
• To be able to live to God, whilft We five, and. to dye to God, when we dye* TTiefe, and. many fueh like, are the effe&s, and biefled confequences of this, fo tar as it profpers.
By this letter I am convinced that the dye is absolutely cast, with respect to him, and that no attempts on my part to bring about a reconciliation would be either prudent or successful.
A dye is injected into the child's vein and then a special film is taken to see if the disease has spread to the bones.
Too bad they didn't, because I suspect pubic hair dye is a product idea that's come a bit late to the market.
HSG - that's short for hysterosalpingogram, a study in which dye is injected through the uterus into the fallopian tubes to see if they are blocked or open.
He was initially set to have an MRI exam Thursday, but the Cubs decided to instead schedule an MRI arthrogram, a test in which dye is injected into the problem area to provide a more detailed look. ...
On it she writes that the only thing she recommends colloidal silver for is as "a gray skin dye -- it is safe, effective, and permanent when used for that purpose."
I have come across soap felting, however, I have read some articles where the dye from the felt caused staining on the skin.
On this wise he abode years and years, till it fortuned one day that he received cloth to dye from a man of wrath and sold it and spent the proceeds.
The use of Henna as a dye is known even in Enland.