from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of, relating to, or being a mystery: mysterious and infinite truths.
- adj. Simultaneously arousing wonder and inquisitiveness, and eluding explanation or comprehension: a mysterious visitor; mysterious conduct.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Of unknown origin
- adj. Having unknown qualities
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to mystery; containing a mystery; difficult or impossible to understand; inexplicable; obscure; not revealed or explained; enigmatical; incomprehensible.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Partaking of or containing mystery; obscure; not revealed or explained; unintelligible.
- Expressing, intimating, or implying a mystery: as, a mysterious look; his manner was very mysterious and important.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. having an import not apparent to the senses nor obvious to the intelligence; beyond ordinary understanding
- adj. of an obscure nature
I must frankly admit, however, that, either owing to the derangement of my nerves, or my new impressions in my new lodgings, or my recent melancholy, I gradually began at dusk to sink into that condition which is so common with me now at night in my illness, and which I call mysterious horror.
Reinhard Kala Gertze, a Swapo member in training for a foreign affairs position in the movement, was arrested in 1983 and taken to what he described as a mysterious place.
He had therefore made up his mind to watch the motions of _Cooleen Bawn_, and he would have included Reilly in his surveillance were it not that Lanigan informed him of what he termed the mysterious disappearance of the under-gardener.
In 185 A.D., Chinese astronomers witnessed what they called a mysterious "guest star" that appeared in the sky and lingered for about eight months.
Mass walkout at UN as Iran's Mahmoud Ahmadinejad raises 9/11 'mystery' THE Iranian President has sparked a mass walkout of diplomats at the UN after attacking Western powers over the Holocaust and 9/11, which he called a "mysterious incident".
Western diplomats walked out on Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad after he questioned what he called the "mysterious September 11 incident" during his fiercely anti-American diatribe.
Ability to know this model and rule constitutes what we call the mysterious excellence (of a governor).
England moves in mysterious ways when it comes to Bank Holiday Weekends.
There is an old saying "The Lord moves in mysterious ways his wonders to perform."
On Brothers reunited: Life works in mysterious ways.