from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Time beyond an established limit, as:
- n. Working hours in addition to those of a regular schedule.
- n. Sports A period of playing time added after the expiration of the set time limit.
- n. Payment for additional work done outside of regular working hours.
- adv. Beyond the established time limit, especially that of the normal working day: The newspaper staff worked overtime.
- transitive v. To exceed the desired timing for: overtime a photographic exposure.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The working time outside of one's regular hours
- n. An extra period of play when a contest has a tie score at the end of regulation.
- n. The rate of pay, usually higher, for work done outside of or in addition to regular hours.
- adv. Exceeding regular working hours.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Time beyond, or in excess of, a limit; esp., extra working time.
- n. An extra period of time provided to play a game, beyond the end of the normal period allowed for the game, for the purpose of resolving a tie score.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- During extra time: as, to work overtime.
- In photography, to allow too much time in exposure or other treatment.
- n. Time during which one works beyond the regular hours.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. playing time beyond regulation, to break a tie
- n. work done in addition to regular working hours
- adv. beyond the regular time
` ` Usually the team that lands the first blow in overtime is the team that's going to get the momentum and get the win, '' West said.
To score a goal in overtime is something that I dreamed about, playing on the street.
To be able to play in overtime is a thrill that every hockey player looks forward to.
"The first team that scores in overtime is normally the team that's going to win," Starks said.
They won't fully staff the officer/firefighter positions, and the overtime is the end result!
The cost of your overtime is the only thing that stops you from being really shafted.
The Demon Deacons went 5-0 in overtime games, coming one victory away from matching an ACC record in that category.
Smith's knack for game-winning shots was something that he carried right through his buzzer-beater in overtime to beat Texas in the NCAA Tournament.
They then beat Rhode Island in overtime to advance to the title game.
THE BAD NEWS: The Cougars lost the Oregon game 82-80 in overtime, their third straight defeat to the Ducks, who were the Pac-10's 2009 last-place finishers.