from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Something suspended from something else, especially an ornament or piece of jewelry attached to a necklace or bracelet.
- n. A hanging lamp or chandelier.
- n. A sculptured ornament suspended from a vaulted Gothic roof or ceiling.
- n. One of a matched pair; a companion piece.
- adj. Variant of pendent1.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Something which hangs or depends; something suspended; a hanging appendage, especially one of an ornamental character, as to a chandelier or an eardrop; also, an appendix or addition, as to a book.
- n. An ornamental object or piece of jewelry with a hook so that it can be hung from a chain around the neck.
- n. A hanging ornament on roofs, ceilings, etc., much used in the later styles of Gothic architecture, where it is of stone, and an important part of the construction. There are imitations in plaster and wood, which are mere decorative features.
- n. One of a pair; a counterpart.
- n. A pendulum.
- n. The stem and ring of a watch, by which it is suspended.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Hanging: same as pendent (which is now the usual spelling).
- n. A loose hanging part; something attached to and hanging loosely from an object of which it is an ornamental or useful part, as a bead, ball, knob, or ring of any material, hanging from a necklace, ear-ring, lamp, the edge of a garment, or a locket hanging from a brooch, or the like. See cut under badge.
- n. Specifically— An ear-ring.
- n. A name given to that part of the knightly belt of the fourteenth century which was allowed to hang after passing through the buckle and sometimes through an additional loop: it ended with the chape, which acted as a weight to keep it hanging perpendicularly.
- n. The part of a watch by which It is suspended, consisting generally of a guard-ring and a pusher-pin.
- n. An apparatus hanging from a roof or ceiling for giving light, generally branched and ornamented; a chandelier or gaselier.
- n. In architecture, a hanging ornament used in the vaults and in timber roofs of late and debased medieval architecture, and also in some Oriental architecture.
- n. A pendulum.
- n. Nautical: A Short Seine piece of rope with a thimble or block at one end.
- n. Something attached to or connected with another as an addition; an appendix.
- n. Something of the same kind, as a companion picture, statue, group of statuary, poem, anecdote, etc.; a parallel.
- n. The cylindrical stem on a watchcase to which the guard-ring is attached.
- n. A corollary.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. branched lighting fixture; often ornate; hangs from the ceiling
- adj. held from above
- n. an adornment that hangs from a piece of jewelry (necklace or earring)
New kid on the block Ben Pollitt is shaking things up with his label pendant by Portland designer Stephanie Stimek hangs from an eighteen inch 14 carat gold chain.
The painted diecast aluminium lamps have shades made of opal matt acrylic, and come in pendant, table, and floor versions.
Each bridesmaid wore the Dauphin pendant necklace. $190 at Swarovski. com or 800-426-3088
Simply crafted using bulbs, scrap acrylic, and miscellaneous Ace Hardware bits and bobs, this pendant is functional and economical.
Double star long chain pendant 925 silver necklace n125
A man and a woman stole a gold chain and a pendant from a display table in a boutique while the proprietor was getting a box for their purchase.
That opportunity was always available at ThinkGeek, but the blaster pendant is currently on clearance for $14.99, 70% down from its original price.
The essential finishing touch are necklaces (uecáchakua) of coral interspersed with medallions or silver filigree balls, sometimes completed with a cross, red glass beads, a coin pendant, or a silver fish motif.
Each individual pendant is an articulated, seamed cast glass sphere with a frosted cylindrical void which houses a 10 watt halogen light.
This hand-felted Pong pendant is on sale by its maker, Madebymoxie, through Etsy.