from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

  • n. One who travels by raft.
  • n. One of the sloping beams that supports a pitched roof.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • n. One of a series of sloped beams that extend from the ridge or hip to the downslope perimeter or eave, designed to support the roof deck and its associated loads.
  • n. flock of turkeys
  • v. To make (timber, etc.) into rafters.
  • v. To furnish (a building) with rafters.
  • v. To plough so as to turn the grass side of each furrow upon an unploughed ridge; to ridge.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • n. A raftsman.
  • n. Originally, any rough and somewhat heavy piece of timber. Now, commonly, one of the timbers of a roof which are put on sloping, according to the inclination of the roof. See Illust. of queen-post.
  • transitive v. To make into rafters, as timber.
  • transitive v. To furnish with rafters, as a house.
  • transitive v. To plow so as to turn the grass side of each furrow upon an unplowed ridge; to ridge.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • To form into or like rafters: as, to rafter timber.
  • To furnish or build with rafters: as, to rafter a house.
  • In agriculture, to plow, as a piece of land, by turning the grass side of the plowed furrow on a strip of ground left unplowed.
  • n. In building, one of the beams which give the slope of a roof, and to which is secured the lath or other framework upon which the slate or other outer covering is nailed.
  • n. Same as carline, 2.
  • n. In anatomy, a trabecule or trabeculum: as, the rafters of the embryonic skull.
  • n. One who is employed in rafting timber, or transporting it in rafts, as from a ship to the shore.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • v. provide (a ceiling) with rafters
  • n. one of several parallel sloping beams that support a roof
  • n. someone who travels by raft


Middle English, from Old English ræfter.
(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Old English ræfter. Cognate with "raft". (Wiktionary)



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.