from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- transitive verb To recover possession of (something lost or taken away); get back.
- transitive verb To occupy again.
- transitive verb To have (the use or control of something) restored; get back.
- transitive verb To have the use of (a faculty, ability, or desirable condition) restored; be restored to (a normal or desirable condition).
- transitive verb To add back (body weight that has been lost).
- transitive verb To discover or be able to follow (a trail or scent) after losing it.
- transitive verb To manage to reach again.
from The Century Dictionary.
- To gain anew; recover, as what has escaped or been lost; retrieve.
- To arrive at again; return to; succeed in reaching once more: as, they regained the shore in safety.
- Synonyms To repossess.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- transitive verb To gain anew; to get again; to recover, as what has escaped or been lost; to reach again.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- verb transitive To
get back; to recover possessionof.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- verb get or find back; recover the use of
- verb come upon after searching; find the location of something that was missed or lost
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
And I too strongly believe that writing surely gives some sort of relaxation to our minds thus, helping us regain from the pains we suffer.
If Bush and Cheney go unpunished, America will never again regain its standing as a nation bound by the rule of law.
Done in the wrong patients with no or little long-term follow up, what could be a life saving operation can become a disaster - and weight regain is perhaps the least that can go wrong.
Probably not much - remind your patients that weight maintenance, especially the prevention of weight regain, is a lifelong task - getting it right 5 days out of 7 is probably not so bad.
After all, it was Lieberman who had to help McCain regain his bearings when distinguishing among Shia, Sunni and Al Queda ...
Bottom line, the dems will never again regain their power unless they drop the extreme left wing fringe death hold it has on the party.
It is probably also true that the U.S.A. will never again regain that same degree of ascendancy.
We can once again regain that stature if we commence now to work out a plan that will ensure that the drift we have experienced in the past five to ten years will not continue in the coming five years.
The standard of moisture is based upon what is known as regain, that is, if 100 parts of absolutely dry cotton are exposed to the air, they will absorb about 8-1/2 per cent of moisture, although a much higher per cent is sometimes found.
I will do everything in my power to clear my name and regain my honour.