from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The sound of ringing.
- n. The quality of being resonant.
- n. A technique used in the study of wild birds, by attaching a small, individually numbered, metal or plastic tag to their legs or wings.
- adj. Loud and clear.
- adj. Made forcefully; powerful.
- v. Present participle of ring.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- a & n. from ring, v.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Having or giving the sound of a bell or other resonant metallic body; resounding: as, a ringing voice; ringing cheers.
- n. Decoration by means of rings or circlets; rings collectively.
- n. In horticulture, the operation of cutting out a circle of bark. See ring, transitive verb, 6.
- n. The act of sounding or of causing to sound, as sonorous metallic bodies; the art or act of making music with bells.
- n. A ringing sound; the hearing of a sound as of ringing.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the sound of a bell ringing
- n. having the character of a loud deep sound; the quality of being resonant
- n. the giving of a ring as a token of engagement
Sorry, no etymologies found.
“Unthinkable!” he announced, the word ringing like steel.
You were a means to an end; an additional stream of exposure to keep my name ringing, because when your name stops ringing, that means the game is over.
Is this what you call ringing the Bell in Iran's voting?
Matt was drawn to the death’s-head, the name ringing deep in the caverns of his mind.
The Christmas tunes were ringing from the car radio,
The ringing is actually a notification for neighborhood residents to put out their garbage for the garbage truck heading their way.
You search on the sound track, it brings up the album and cover art, you hit buy and the theme from Top Gun is ringing from the rafters!
I'd heard of the first act, Tony Law, but apart from the name ringing distant bells, I really didn't know anything about him.
The problems here would be thorny and difficult, and grappling with them much less fun than declaiming in ringing terms about “parties of death” and the intrinsic value of life.
There was a Conservative candidate for the European Parliament who announced in ringing tones that matters European were all going our way and Anglospheric ideas will win in Europe as they have always done.