from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Foam or froth on a liquid, as on the sea.
- intransitive v. To froth or foam.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Foam or froth of water, particularly that of sea water.
- v. To froth.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Frothy matter raised on liquids by boiling, effervescence, or agitation; froth; foam; scum.
- intransitive v. To froth; to foam.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To froth; foam.
- Same as spoom.
- n. Froth; foam; scum; frothy matter raised on liquors or fluid substances by boiling, effervescence, or agitation.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. foam or froth on the sea
- v. make froth or foam and become bubbly
On January 6th, 2010 at 7: 29 pm, New Chapters « spume wrote:
Never mind that most of his rapping was a spume of spittle and expletives – you expect that at a hip-hop show.
At Dulwich is a painting, Hero and Leandro for Christopher Marlowe, that is a white misty spume of oceanic spray assailed by a bloody smear of red.
Half an hour later he shut down his account for good, stung by the spume of venom from both his own club's supporters "team do all hard work keeping possession then u hit row Z every fuckin time!!" and those of Northern Ireland, whose advances he turned down in favour of the Republic.
This spume drove masthead high, and higher, horizontally, above the surface of the sea.
The streams run dry on poisoned land, where stands the angel of the key, in hailfire strafing spume and sand as fish rot on a wormwood sea.
The rest of the time -- fog, spume and relentless, gray oppressive motherhumping rain.
The sea, too, breathed in and out, its breast swelling with each breath until I was half afraid that the Leviathan from the Bible would burst from its depths and shower me with spume.
And suddenly, out there where a big smoker lifts skyward, rising like a sea-god from out of the welter of spume and churning white, on the giddy, toppling, overhanging and downfalling, precarious crest appears the dark head of a man.
As it was, spray and spume came aboard in such quantities that I bailed without cessation.