from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A topic of discourse or discussion. See Synonyms at subject.
- n. A subject of artistic representation.
- n. An implicit or recurrent idea; a motif: a theme of powerlessness that runs through the diary; a party with a tropical island theme.
- n. A short composition assigned to a student as a writing exercise.
- n. Music The principal melodic phrase in a composition, especially a melody forming the basis of a set of variations.
- n. Linguistics A stem.
- n. Linguistics See topic.
- transitive v. Usage Problem To provide with a particular topic or motif. See Usage Note at themed.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A subject of a talk or an artistic piece; a topic.
- n. A recurring idea; a motif.
- n. The main melody of a piece of music, especially one that is the source of variations.
- n. The collection of color schemes, sounds, artwork etc., that "skin" an environment towards a particular motif.
- n. The stem of a word
- n. thematic relation of a noun phrase to a verb
- n. Theta role in generative grammar and government and binding theory.
- n. Topic, what is being talked about, as opposed to rheme
- n. A regional unit of organisation in the Byzantine empire.
- v. To apply a theme to; to change the visual appearance and/or layout of (software).
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A subject or topic on which a person writes or speaks; a proposition for discussion or argument; a text.
- n. Discourse on a certain subject.
- n. A composition or essay required of a pupil.
- n. A noun or verb, not modified by inflections; also, that part of a noun or verb which remains unchanged (except by euphonic variations) in declension or conjugation; stem.
- n. That by means of which a thing is done; means; instrument.
- n. The leading subject of a composition or a movement.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In astrology, a figure of nativity.
- n. A subject or topic on which a person writes or speaks; anything proposed as a subject of discourse or discussion.
- n. That which is said or thought on a given topic.
- n. Question; subject; matter.
- n. A short dissertation composed by a student on a given subject; a brief essay; a school composition; a thesis.
- n. In philology, the part of a noun or verb to which inflectional endings are added; stem; base.
- n. In music, same as subject. The term is sometimes extended to a short melody from which a set of variations is developed.
- n. That by which a thing is done; an instrument; a means.
- n. A division for the purpose of provincial administration under the Byzantine empire. There were twenty-nine themes, twelve in Europe and seventeen in Asia. Also thema.
- n. In logic, same as thema, 3.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the subject matter of a conversation or discussion
- n. an essay (especially one written as an assignment)
- n. (linguistics) the form of a word after all affixes are removed
- n. (music) melodic subject of a musical composition
- n. a unifying idea that is a recurrent element in literary or artistic work
- v. provide with a particular theme or motive
- On-the-fly language change: right click > Configure theme > Configure language, choose you language and click on OK, then right-click and select \ "Reload theme\". \ "
While the main theme is the need for compassion and love, the action includes the often laughable doings of a British royal family.
His main theme is that people under-estimate uncertainty.
The passages are all taken from published sources and re-edited so that the main theme is stated at the beginning and end.
The main theme is white, but bolder designs are also available.
Scenes and the main theme from the HBO series Band of Brothers, and a reminder of what today is really about.
I think Psycho should be #1, the main theme is wonderful!
The main theme is the Doom of the Divine Powers, the return of some of the gods to a new heaven, and the appearance of a new earth.
As said, the main theme is the conflict between ratio of science and the intolerance, misapplication of facts, glorification of ignorance and use of all these in propagation of fear and ever increasing control found in every culture known to man.
Although Anam intersperses chilling, sometimes horrific details of life under Pakistani occupation throughout her tale, the main theme is about Rehana simply doing what she can to support and protect her two teenagers during this dangerous time.