from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Not firm, solid, or securely in place; unstable.
- adj. Fluctuating; changeable: an unsteady market.
- adj. Not even or regular; wavering: an unsteady voice.
- transitive v. To cause to become unsteady.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Not held firmly in position, physically unstable.
- adj. Noted for lack of regularity or uniformity.
- adj. Inconstant in purpose, or volatile in behaviour.
- v. To render unsteady, removing balance.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- In mech., having a motion which is not uniform or which does not take place with a constant angular velocity, or around a permanent axis through the center of gravity of the mass. Revolving bodies out of running balance have an unsteady motion.
- Not steady.
- To make unsteady; cause to be fluctuating.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. subject to change or variation
- adj. not firmly or solidly positioned
I had an early morning errand to run before work, and was a little unsteady from a sleepless night.
- But her wax-doll face took the fancy of Boys at that period, as afterwards it was the rage with men, till her head, unsteady from the first discovery of her, got fairly turned with admiration, and she ended in a mad-house, that girl!
I know things are going to remain unsteady for a long time, wish as I may it weren’t.
A surveillance camera captured the Orange Line drama, which began when an unidentified man described as "unsteady on his feet" fell off the southbound platform as a train approached around 3:20 p.m., WCBV-TV and the Boston Globe report.
Mom's high heels may look great but if they're wobbly and unsteady -- in other words, easy to trip over -- consider something more well-grounded ..
Mom's high heels may look great but if they're wobbly and unsteady -- in other words, easy to trip over -- consider something more well-grounded..
The job market in the Buffalo-Niagara Falls area for the first three months of 2010 is described as unsteady, according to the updated
Although the disease is always fatal, the onset and severity of symptoms, such as unsteady gait, swallowing difficulties and cognitive decline, can vary widely among patients.
Lauer seems to have gotten used to the alpha slot since Katie's departure, but Vieira is a hard woman to keep in the second-banana position, and this morning there seemed to be a kind of unsteady equilibrium between them.
His performance is still kind of unsteady on the stump.