from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Resembling a human, especially in shape or outward appearance.
- adj. Of or belonging to the group of great apes of the family Pongidae, which includes the gorilla, chimpanzee, and orangutan.
- adj. Resembling or characteristic of an ape; apelike.
- n. An ape of the family Pongidae. Also called anthropoid ape.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. having characteristics of a human being, usually in terms of shape or appearance
- adj. having characteristics of an ape
- n. An anthropoid animal.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Resembling man; -- applied especially to certain apes, as the ourang or gorilla.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of or pertaining to the superfamily Anthropoidea; man-like; human or simian in a zoölogical sense: applied to all monkeys as well as to man, as distinguished from the lemuroid or prosimian Primates.
- More specifically, resembling man, or man-like, as one of the higher monkeys or apes, as distinguished from lower monkeys: applied to the apes of the family Simiidæ, as restricted to include only the gorilla, chimpanzee, orang, and gibbon, these being commonly known as the anthropoid apes.
- n. An anthropoid animal; one of the higher monkeys; an ape.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. resembling apes
- n. any member of the suborder Anthropoidea including monkeys and apes and hominids
- adj. resembling human beings
- n. person who resembles a nonhuman primate
Sorry, no etymologies found.