from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One who disbelieves or denies the existence of God or gods.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A person who believes that no deities exist (especially, one who has no other religious belief).
- n. A person who rejects belief that any deities exist (whether or not that person believes that deities do not exist).
- n. A person who has no belief in any deities, such as a person who has no concept of deities.
- n. A person who does not believe in a particular deity (or any deity in a particular pantheon), notwithstanding that they may believe in another deity.
- adj. Of or relating to atheists or atheism; atheistic.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who disbelieves or denies the existence of a God, or supreme intelligent Being.
- n. A godless person.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who denies the existence of God, or of a supreme intelligent being.
- n. A godless man; one who disregards his duty to God.
- Godless; atheistic: as, “the atheist crew,”
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. someone who denies the existence of god
- adj. related to or characterized by or given to atheism
From French athéiste (athée + -iste), from Latin atheos, from Ancient Greek ἄθεος (atheos, "godless, without god"), from ἀ- (a-, "without") + θεός (theos, "god").. (Wiktionary)