from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Present and ready for use; at hand; accessible: kept a fire extinguisher available at all times.
- adj. Capable of being gotten; obtainable: a bedspread available in three colors.
- adj. Qualified and willing to serve or assist: a list of available candidates; was not available for comment.
- adj. Chemistry Capable of being used in a chemical reaction: available electrons.
- adj. Botany Present, as in soil, and capable of being used by plants as a nutrient: available water; available minerals.
- adj. Archaic Capable of bringing about a beneficial result or effect.
- adj. Law Archaic Valid. Used especially of a plea.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Such as one may avail one’s self of; capable of being used for the accomplishment of a purpose.
- adj. Readily obtainable.
- adj. Valid
- adj. Having sufficient power, force, or efficacy to achieve the purpose; availing, effective.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Having sufficient power, force, or efficacy, for the object; effectual; valid.
- adj. Such as one may avail one's self of; capable of being used for the accomplishment of a purpose; usable; profitable; advantageous; convertible into a resource
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Profitable; advantageous; having efficacy.
- Having sufficient power, force, or efficacy for the object; valid.
- Capable of being used or employed with advantage; attainable; accessible; at one's disposal: as, his resources were not available at the time.
- Advailable is a rare and obsolete form.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. obtainable or accessible and ready for use or service
- adj. convenient for use or disposal
- adj. not busy; not otherwise committed
avail + -able (Wiktionary)