from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Having an intended or expected effect.
- adj. Producing a strong impression or response; striking: gave an effective performance as Othello.
- adj. Operative; in effect: The law is effective immediately.
- adj. Existing in fact; actual: a decline in the effective demand.
- adj. Prepared for use or action, especially in warfare.
- n. A soldier or a piece of military equipment that is ready for combat: "The 'company' was no more than two platoons of effectives” ( Tom Clancy).
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Having the power to produce a required effect or effects.
- adj. Producing a decided or decisive effect.
- adj. Efficient, serviceable, or operative, available for useful work.
- adj. Actually in effect.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Having the power to produce an effect or effects; producing a decided or decisive effect; efficient; serviceable; operative
- n. That which produces a given effect; a cause.
- n. One who is capable of active service.
- n. Specie or coin, as distinguished from paper currency; -- a term used in many parts of Europe.
- n. The serviceable soldiers in a country; an army or any military body, collectively.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Serving to effect the intended purpose; producing the intended or expected effect or result; operative; efficacious: as, an effective cause; effective proceedings.
- Capable of producing effect; fit for action or duty; adapted for a desired end: as, the effective force of an army or of a steam-engine is so much; effective capacity.
- Serving to impress or affect with admiration; producing a decided impression of beauty or a feeling of admiration at the first presentation; impressive; striking; specifically, artistically strong or successful: as, an effective performance; an effective picture.
- Actual; real.
- n. The number of men actually doing duty, or the strength of a company, a regiment, or an army, in the field or on parade.
- n. A soldier fit for duty.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. able to accomplish a purpose; functioning effectively
- adj. existing in fact; not theoretical; real
- adj. ready for service
- adj. works well as a means or remedy
- adj. producing or capable of producing an intended result or having a striking effect
- adj. exerting force or influence
Sorry, no etymologies found.