from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Producing or capable of producing.
- adj. Producing abundantly; fertile. See Synonyms at fertile.
- adj. Yielding favorable or useful results; constructive.
- adj. Economics Of or involved in the creation of goods and services to produce wealth or value.
- adj. Effective in achieving specified results; originative: policies productive of much harm.
- adj. Medicine Producing mucus or sputum: a productive cough.
- adj. Medicine Forming new tissue: a productive inflammation.
- adj. Linguistics Of or relating to the linguistic skills of speaking and writing.
- adj. Linguistics Of or relating to a linguistic element or rule that can be used to form further examples of a particular feature or pattern. The English past tense suffix -ed is productive since it continues to be added to new verbs to form the past tense.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Capable of producing something, especially in abundance; fertile
- adj. yielding good or useful results; constructive
- adj. Of, or relating to the creation of goods or services
- adj. consistently applicable to any of an open set of words
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Having the quality or power of producing; yielding or furnishing results
- adj. Bringing into being; causing to exist; producing; originative
- adj. Producing, or able to produce, in large measure; fertile; profitable.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Serving to produce; having the power of producing: as, an age productive of great men.
- Fertile; producing abundant crops: as, a productive soil.
- In political economics, causing or tending to cause an increase in the quantity or quality of things of value; causing commodities to possess exchangeable value: as, productive labor.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. yielding positive results
- adj. producing or capable of producing (especially abundantly)
- adj. having the ability to produce or originate
- adj. marked by great fruitfulness
Sorry, no etymologies found.