from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One that begins.
- n. One who is just starting to learn or do something; a novice.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Someone who is just starting at something, or has only recently started.
- n. Someone who sets (or puts) something in motion
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who begins or originates anything. Specifically: A young or inexperienced practitioner or student; a tyro.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who begins or originates; one who starts or first leads off; an author or originator.
- n. One beginning to learn or practise; a novice; a tyro: as, “a sermon of a new beginner,” Swift.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a person who founds or establishes some institution
- n. someone new to a field or activity
Sorry, no etymologies found.