from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The act of deducting; subtraction.
- n. An amount that is or may be deducted: tax deductions.
- n. The drawing of a conclusion by reasoning; the act of deducing.
- n. Logic The process of reasoning in which a conclusion follows necessarily from the stated premises; inference by reasoning from the general to the specific.
- n. Logic A conclusion reached by this process.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. That which is deducted; that which is subtracted or removed
- n. A sum that can be removed from tax calculations; something that is written off
- n. A conclusion; that which is deduced, concluded or figured out
- n. The ability or skill to deduce or figure out; the power of reason
- n. A process of reasoning that moves from the general to the specific, in which a conclusion follows necessarily from the premises presented, so that the conclusion cannot be false if the premises are true.
- n. A conclusion reached by this process
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Act or process of deducing or inferring.
- n. Act of deducting or taking away; subtraction.
- n. That which is deduced or drawn from premises by a process of reasoning; an inference; a conclusion.
- n. That which is or may be deducted; the part taken away; abatement.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A drawing or tracing out and setting forth.
- n. The act of deriving; derivation.
- n. In logic, derivation as a result from a known principle; necessary inference; also, the result itself, as so concluded.
- n. The act of deducting or taking away; subtraction; abatement: as, the deduction of the subtrahend from the minuend; prompt payment will insure a large deduction.
- n. A payment; a statement of payments.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a reduction in the gross amount on which a tax is calculated; reduces taxes by the percentage fixed for the taxpayer's income bracket
- n. the act of subtracting (removing a part from the whole)
- n. an amount or percentage deducted
- n. something that is inferred (deduced or entailed or implied)
- n. reasoning from the general to the particular (or from cause to effect)
- n. the act of reducing the selling price of merchandise
Sorry, no etymologies found.