from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The condition or fact of being the child of a certain parent.
- n. Law Judicial determination of paternity.
- n. A line of descent; derivation.
- n. The act or fact of forming a new branch, as of a society or language group.
- n. The branch thus formed.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The condition of being a child of a specified parent
- n. The ancestry or lineage shared by a group having the same bloodline
- n. The determination of paternity
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The relationship of a son or child to a parent, esp. to a father.
- n. The assignment of a bastard child to some one as its father; affiliation.
- n. Descent from, or as if from, a parent; relationship like that of a son.
- n. One that is derived from a parent or source; an offshoot.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The relation of a son or daughter to a parent: the correlative of paternity.
- n. The establishment of a filial relation, specifically by adoption.
- n. In law, the judicial determination of the paternity of a child, especially of a bastard; affiliation.
- n. Any analogous close connection or relation.
- n. An individual or group of individuals derived from one source or parent.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the kinship relation between an individual and the individual's progenitors
- n. inherited properties shared with others of your bloodline
Sorry, no etymologies found.