from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A division of a family, especially a division of a clan.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A clan, tribe, or family, proceeding from a common progenitor. (used especially of the ancient clans in Ireland)
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A clan, tribe, or family, proceeding from a common progenitor; -- used especially of the ancient clans in Ireland.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A clan: used especially of the tribes or families in Ireland.
- n. An inclosure; a railing.
- n. An abbreviation
- n. of September;
- n. of Septuagint.
- n. In music, same as seventh or seventh-chord.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. people descended from a common ancestor
- n. the month following August and preceding October
Probably alteration of sect.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
A corruption of sect, influenced by Latin saeptum ("fence, enclosure"). (Wiktionary)