from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Very skilled. See Synonyms at proficient.
- n. A highly skilled person; an expert: "The adepts in Washington mean to give rather than to take” ( Lewis H. Lapham).
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Well skilled; completely versed; thoroughly proficient
- n. One fully skilled or well versed in anything; a proficient; as, adepts in philosophy.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One fully skilled or well versed in anything; a proficient.
- adj. Well skilled; completely versed; thoroughly proficient.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Well skilled; completely versed or acquainted.
- n. One who has attained proficiency; one fully skilled in anything; a proficient or master; specifically, in former times, a proficient in alchemy or magic; a master of occult science, or one who professed to have discovered “the great secret” (namely, of transmuting base metal into gold).
- n. Synonyms Adept, Expert. An adept is one who possesses natural as well as acquired aptitude or skill in anything: as, an adept in the art of governing; an adept in diplomacy, lying, cajolery, whist-playing, etc. An expert, on the other hand, is one whose skill and proficiency are more conspicuously the result of practice or experience, or of an intimate acquaintance with a subject. The term is mostly limited to one possessing special skill or knowledge in some branch, and regarded as an authority on it: as, an expert in alienism, chemistry, penmanship, etc.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. having or showing knowledge and skill and aptitude
- n. someone who is dazzlingly skilled in any field
Latin adeptus, past participle of adipīscī, to attain : ad-, ad- + apīscī, to grasp.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From French adepte, from Latin adeptus ("who has achieved"), the past participle of adipisci ("to attain"). (Wiktionary)