from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A god or goddess.
- n. The essential nature or condition of being a god; divinity.
- n. God. Used with the.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The collection of attributes which make up the nature of a god; divinity; godhead.
- n. A god or goddess; a heathen god.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Godhead; divinity; the attributes of a god; especially, the nature and essence of the one Supreme Being.
- n. [capitalized] God; the Supreme Being, or infinite self-existing Spirit: regularly with the definite article.
- n. A god; a divinity; a being to whom a divine or godlike nature is attributed; an object or a person worshiped as a god.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any supernatural being worshipped as controlling some part of the world or some aspect of life or who is the personification of a force
Middle English deite, from Old French, from Late Latin deitās, divine nature, from Latin deus, god.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Middle French deité, from Latin deitās, from deus ("god"). (Wiktionary)