from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The cardinal number equal to 13 + 1.
- n. The 14th in a set or sequence.
- n. Something having 14 parts, units, or members.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The cardinal number occurring after thirteen and before fifteen, represented in Roman numerals as XIV and in Arabic numerals as 14.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Four and ten more; twice seven.
- n. The sum of ten and four; forteen units or objects.
- n. A symbol representing fourteen, as 14 or xiv.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Four more than ten, or one more than thirteen: a cardinal numeral.
- n. The sum of ten and four, or thirteen and one.
- n. A symbol representing fourteen units, as 14, XIV, or xiv.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the cardinal number that is the sum of thirteen and one
- adj. being one more than thirteen
Middle English fourtene, from Old English fēowertēne; see kwetwer- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Middle English fourtene, from Old English fēowertīene, fēowertēne, from Proto-Germanic *fedurtehun. Compare West Frisian fjirtjin, Dutch veertien, German vierzehn, Danish fjorten. (Wiktionary)