from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of, relating to, or containing salt; salty.
- adj. Of or relating to chemical salts.
- n. A salt of magnesium or of the alkalis, used in medicine as a cathartic.
- n. A saline solution, especially one that is isotonic with blood and is used in medicine and surgery.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Containing salt; salty.
- n. Water containing dissolved salt.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Consisting of salt, or containing salt.
- adj. Of the quality of salt; salty.
- n. A salt spring; a place where salt water is collected in the earth.
- n. A crude potash obtained from beet-root residues and other similar sources.
- n. A metallic salt; esp., a salt of potassium, sodium, lithium, or magnesium, used in medicine.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Consisting of salt or constituting salt: as, saline particles; saline substances.
- Of, pertaining to, or characteristic of salt; salty: as, a saline taste.
- n. A salt-spring, or a place where salt water is collected in the earth; a salt-marsh or -pit.
- Same as halophilous.
- n. One of the mineral salts, such as sodium or magnesium sulphate, used medicinally.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. containing salt
- n. an isotonic solution of sodium chloride and distilled water
Latin salīnus, from sāl, salt; see sal- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)