from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A ruffle or flounce on a garment.
- n. A piece of showy ornamentation.
- transitive v. To decorate with a ruffle or flounce.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A ruffle, frill or flounce on clothing.
- n. A decorative piece of fabric, usually gathered or pleated.
- n. A small, showy ornamentation.
- v. To adorn with a furbelow; to ornament.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A plaited or gathered flounce on a woman's garment.
- transitive v. To put a furbelow on; to ornament.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A piece of stuff plaited and puckered on a gown or petticoat; a plaited or puffed flounce; the plaited border of a petticoat or skirt.
- n. Hence An elaborate adornment of any kind.
- n. The Laminaria bulbosa, a species of seaweed having a large wrinkled frond, found on the coasts of England.
- n. Some part or process like a fringe or flounce.
- To furnish or ornament with furbelows or elaborate embellishments.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a strip of pleated material used as a decoration or a trim
Probably alteration of Provençal farbello, farbella, fringe, perhaps alteration of Italian faldella, pleat, diminutive of falda, flap, loose end, of Germanic origin; see pel-2 in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)