from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An ornamental cascade of ruffles or frills down the front of a shirt, blouse, or dress.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A cascading or ornamental frill down the front of a blouse, shirt, etc.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Originally, a kind of ruffle worn by men on the bosom of the shirt.
- n. An arrangement of lace or tulle, looped ornamentally, and worn by women on the front of the dress.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A frilling or ruffle worn by men at the bosom of the shirt in the eighteenth century; also, a frill of lace, or some soft material, arranged down the front of a woman's bodice.
- n. In entomology, the crop of any herbivorous orthopterous insect.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a ruffle on the front of a woman's blouse or a man's shirt
French, crop of a bird, jabot, perhaps of Celtic origin.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From French jabot. (Wiktionary)