from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The anatomical study of the microscopic structure of animal and plant tissues.
- n. The microscopic structure of tissue.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The study of the microscopic structure, chemical composition and function of the tissue or tissue systems of plants and animals
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. That branch of biological science, which treats of the minute (microscopic) structure of animal and vegetable tissues; -- called also histiology.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. That branch of anatomy which is concerned with the structure, especially the microscopic structure, of the various tissues of the body; histomorphology.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the branch of biology that studies the microscopic structure of animal or plant tissues
histo- + -logy (Wiktionary)