from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The study, theory, and practice of prison management and criminal rehabilitation.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Study of the processes devised and adopted for the punishment and prevention of crime.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The science or art of punishment.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The study of punishment for crime, both in its deterrent and in its reformatory aspect; the study of the management of prisons.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the branch of criminology concerned with prison management and prisoner rehabilitation
Latin poena, penalty (from Greek poinē; see kwei-1 in Indo-European roots) + -logy.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Ancient Greek ποινή (poinē, "punishment") and -λογία (‐logía, "branch of study”, “to speak"). (Wiktionary)