from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Informal A short space of time; a moment. See Synonyms at moment.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A very short, unspecified length of time.
- n. A unit of time defined by the frequency of its basic timer; historically, and by convention, 0.01 seconds, but some operating systems use other values.
- n. The time between alternating current power cycles (1/60 or 1/50 of a second)
- n. The time taken for light to travel one centimetre in a vacuum (sometimes one foot, or sometimes the width of a nucleon)
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A moment; an instant.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A moment; an instant: as, I shall be with you in a jiffy.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a very short time (as the time it takes the eye to blink or the heart to beat)
Origin unknown.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)