from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of, relating to, or concerned with law: legal papers.
- adj. Authorized by or based on law: a legal right.
- adj. Established by law; statutory: the legal owner.
- adj. In conformity with or permitted by law: legal business operations.
- adj. Recognized or enforced by law rather than by equity.
- adj. In terms of or created by the law: a legal offense.
- adj. Applicable to or characteristic of attorneys or their profession.
- n. One that is in accord with certain rules or laws.
- n. Investments that may be legally made by fiduciaries and certain institutions, such as savings banks and insurance companies. Also called legal list.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Relating to the law or to lawyers, as in legal profession.
- adj. Having its basis in the law, such as legal precedent.
- adj. Being allowed or prescribed by law, such as a legal motion.
- adj. Above the age of consent, most often concerning attractive but young adolescent girls.
- n. Paper in sheets 8½ in × 14 in (215.9 mm × 355.6 mm).
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Created by, permitted by, in conformity with, or relating to, law.
- adj. According to the law of works, as distinguished from free grace; or resting on works for salvation.
- adj. According to the old or Mosaic dispensation; in accordance with the law of Moses.
- adj. Governed by the rules of law as distinguished from the rules of equity
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Pertaining or relating to law; connected with the law: as, legal doctrines or studies; a legal document or controversy; legal arguments.
- According or conformable to law; permitted or warranted by the law or laws; lawful; not forbidden by law; having the force of law: as, the action is strictly legal; legal traffic or commerce.
- Pertaining to the provisions or administration of the law; determined by or in accordance with law; judicial: as, legal proceedings; a legal opinion or decision; a legal standard or test.
- Amenable to remedy or punishment by law as distinguished from equity: as, legal waste; legal irregularity.
- Created by law; recognized by law: as, legal incapacity; a legal infant; legal crimes.
- In theology, according to the Mosaic law or dispensation; according or pertaining to the doctrine of reliance on good works for salvation, as distinguished from that of free grace.
- Synonyms and Legitimate, etc. (see lawful); legalized, authorized, allowable, just, constitutional.
- n. In Scots law, same as legal reversion (which see, under I.).
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. established by or founded upon law or official or accepted rules
- adj. of or relating to jurisprudence
- adj. having legal efficacy or force
- adj. relating to or characteristic of the profession of law
- adj. allowed by official rules
Middle English, from Old French, from Latin lēgālis, from lēx, lēg-, law; see leg- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin lēgālis ("legal"), from lēx ("law"). (Wiktionary)