from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. In agreement; compatible: The testimony was consistent with the known facts.
- adj. Being in agreement with itself; coherent and uniform: a consistent pattern of behavior.
- adj. Reliable; steady: demonstrated a consistent ability to impress the critics.
- adj. Mathematics Having at least one common solution, as of two or more equations or inequalities.
- adj. Holding true as a group; not contradictory: a consistent set of statements.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. of a regularly occurring, dependable nature
- adj. Of a set of statements, such that no contradiction logically follows from them.
- n. plural Objects or facts that are coexistent, or in agreement with one another.
- n. In the history of the Eastern Orthodox Church, a kind of penitent who was allowed to assist at prayers, but could not be admitted to receive the holy sacrament.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Possessing firmness or fixedness; firm; hard; solid.
- adj. Having agreement with itself or with something else; having harmony among its parts; possesing unity; accordant; harmonious; congruous; compatible; uniform; not contradictory.
- adj. Living or acting in conformity with one's belief or professions.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Fixed; firm; solid: as, the consistent parts of a body, distinguished from the fluid.
- Standing together or in agreement; compatible; congruous; uniform; not contradictory or opposed: as. two opinions or schemes are consistent; a law is consistent with justice and humanity.
- Characterized by consistency or harmony; not self-opposed or self-contradictory: as, a consistent life.
- Composed; made up.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. (sometimes followed by `with') in agreement or consistent or reliable
- adj. capable of being reproduced
- adj. the same throughout in structure or composition
- adj. marked by an orderly, logical, and aesthetically consistent relation of parts
Latin cōnsistēns, cōnsistent-, present participle of cōnsistere, to stand still; see consist.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)