from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One that assists; a helper.
- adj. Holding an auxiliary position; subordinate.
- adj. Giving aid; auxiliary.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Having a subordinate or auxiliary position.
- n. Someone who is present; a bystander, a witness.
- n. A person who assists or helps someone else.
- n. Sales assistant.
- n. A software tool that provides assistance in some task.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Helping; lending aid or support; auxiliary.
- adj. Of the second grade in the staff of the army.
- n. One who, or that which, assists; a helper; an auxiliary; a means of help.
- n. An attendant; one who is present.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Standing by; present; accompanying.
- Present to help; helpful; aiding or fitted to aid and support; auxiliary: with to.
- n. One who stands by; a bystander; one who takes part in anything: usually in the plural.
- n. One who stands by to help; one who helps; a helper; an auxiliary; specifically, one who is associated with another as an auxiliary in carrying on some systematic work or undertaking, or in discharging the duties of an office: as, the harbor-master and his assistants; a bookkeeper's assistant.
- n. An official auxiliary to the father-general of the Jesuits. Erroneously called adjutant-general.
- n. [Sp. asistente.] The chief officer of justice at Seville.
- n. In the Massachusetts Bay and Plymouth colonies, one of the elected councilors who constituted the governor's council and the upper house of the legislature. The number of assistants in the former was eighteen; in the latter, originally five, later seven.
- n. In dyeing, a substance, such as tartaric acid, acetate of lime, or sulphate of soda, added to the dye-bath, to effect a brightening of the color.
- Assisting; hence, subordinate in rank; specifically, as an official designation, occupying the next lower grade: as, an assistant adjutant-general.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. of or relating to a person who is subordinate to another
- n. a person who contributes to the fulfillment of a need or furtherance of an effort or purpose
From Middle French assistant, from assister. (Wiktionary)