from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Determined by measurement: The measured distance was less than a mile.
- adj. Careful; restrained: spoke in measured words.
- adj. Calculated; deliberate: with measured irony.
- adj. Regular in rhythm and number: "A clock struck slowly in the house with a measured, solemn chime” ( Thomas Wolfe).
- adj. Slow and stately.
- adj. Written in meter.
- adj. Music Mensural.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. That has been determined by measurement.
- adj. Deliberate but restrained.
- adj. Rhythmically written in meter; metrical.
- v. Simple past tense and past participle of measure.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Regulated or determined by a standard; hence, equal; uniform; graduated; limited; moderated
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Definitely ascertained or determined by measurement or rule; set off or laid down by measurement; adjusted or proportioned by rule.
- Characterized by uniformity of movement or rhythm; rhythmical; stately; formal; deliberate : as, to walk with measured tread.
- Limited or restricted; within bounds; moderate: as, to speak in no measured terms.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. the rhythmic arrangement of syllables
- adj. carefully thought out in advance
- adj. having notes of fixed rhythmic value
- adj. unhurried and with care and dignity
Sorry, no etymologies found.