from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An act of repeated hitting or striking.
- n. A sound defeat.
- n. A sharp reversal; a setback: Stocks took a beating from panicky investors.
- n. A throbbing or pulsation, as of the heart.
- n. Physics The periodic variation in amplitude of a wave produced by the superposition of two waves of different frequencies, resulting in segments of louder, and then quieter, sound.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. action of the verb to beat
- n. a heavy defeat or setback
- n. the pulsation of the heart
- v. Present participle of beat.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act of striking or giving blows; punishment or chastisement by blows.
- n. Pulsation; throbbing.
- n. Pulsative sounds. See Beat, n.
- n. The process of sailing against the wind by tacks in zigzag direction.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of striking, or operating by blows; any process of working by percussion.
- n. Punishment or chastisement by blows; a flogging.
- n. The state of being beaten or out-done; a defeat.
- n. Regular pulsation or throbbing.
- n. In music, same as beat, 7 : but in this form more frequently applied to the beats of the strings of a piano or the pipes of an organ.
- n. Nautical, the act of advancing in a zigzag line against the wind.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the act of inflicting corporal punishment with repeated blows
- n. the act of overcoming or outdoing
Sorry, no etymologies found.
“I never knew the expression beating the piss out of someone was literal.”
They're half way home to the title beating Colorado 2-1 in a pitchers 'dual last night in Colorado.
Standing tall at five feet nine inches, Choudhury, 22, won the title beating 19 other contestants Sunday.
With Federer losing to Radek Stepanek in the quarter-finals, Djokovic seized his opportunity to take the title beating Stanislas Wawrinka in the final.
LUC.NOW: Aditya Madkekar of Western Railway won the title beating P.C. Vignesh of South C.ntral Railway 6-2, 6-1 in the final of the 56th all-India Railways tennis championship here on Saturday.
ZAHN (on camera): I'd like to start off this morning by having your client's father describe how his son has reacted to what he describes as a beating by the Inglewood Police -- let's listen.
When he was angry I saw him often beat the ground and his legs with his fists, thus showing a similar habit to that of the adult gorillas, which I described as beating their breasts with their fists when confronting an enemy.
The consequence of which is that he wants occupation and that an active occupation is salvation to him with his irritable nerves, saves him from ruminating bitter cud, and from the process which I call beating his dear head against the wall till it is bruised, simply because he sees a fly there, magnified by his own two eyes almost indefinitely into some Saurian monster.
'So that's what you call beating a mat,' said he, catching it from her hands, and mimicking the tender clasp of her little fingers.
If that's what you call beating off in the Adult Contemporary isle.