from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The condition or quality of being literate, especially the ability to read and write. See Usage Note at literate.
- n. The condition or quality of being knowledgeable in a particular subject or field: cultural literacy; biblical literacy.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The ability to read.
- n. Understanding of something (ex. computer literacy).
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. State of being literate.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The state of being literate; knowledge of letters; ability to read and write; possession of education; also, condition with reference to education: opposed to illiteracy.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the ability to read and write
From literate + -cy. (Wiktionary)