from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The state or condition of being fit; suitability or appropriateness.
- n. Good health or physical condition, especially as the result of exercise and proper nutrition.
- n. Biology The extent to which an organism is adapted to or able to produce offspring in a particular environment.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The condition of being fit, suitable or appropriate.
- n. The cultivation of an attractive and/or healthy physique.
- n. The condition of being attractive, fanciable or beautiful.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The state or quality of being fit
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The state or quality of being fit or suitable; suitableness; adaptedness or adaptability of one thing to another; hence, congruity; befittingness; meetness: as, the fitness of things; the fitness of a thing for the purpose intended.
- n. The state of being fitted or qualified; requisite capacity; qualification: as, he lacks fitness for the place.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the quality of being qualified
- n. the quality of being suitable
- n. good physical condition; being in shape or in condition
- n. fitness to traverse the seas
fit + -ness. (Wiktionary)