from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Located, functioning, or originating from above.
- adj. Of or relating to the operating expenses of a business.
- n. The operating expenses of a business, including the costs of rent, utilities, interior decoration, and taxes, exclusive of labor and materials.
- n. Nautical The top surface in an enclosed space of a ship.
- n. Something, such as a light fixture, that is located above head height.
- n. Sports A stroke in a game, such as tennis or badminton, that is made with a hard downward motion from above the head.
- n. An overhead projector.
- n. The image projected by an overhead projector.
- adv. Over or above the level of the head; high or higher up: look overhead.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An overhead projector.
- n. A sheet of transparent material with an image used with an overhead projector; an overhead transparency.
- adj. located above, especially over the head
- adj. kicked over one's own head
- n. The expense of a business not directly assigned to goods or services provided.
- n. The items or classes of expense not directly assigned to goods or services provided.
- n. Any cost or expenditure (monetary, time, effort or otherwise) incurred in a project or activity, which does not directly contribute to the progress or outcome of the project or activity.
- n. Wasted money.
- n. A smash.
- n. The ceiling of any enclosed space below decks in a vessel
- n. The system of overhead wires used to power electric transport, such as streetcars, trains, or buses.
- n. data or steps of computation that is only used to facilitate the computations in the system and is not directly related to the actual program code or data being processed.
- n. An overhead throw.
- adv. above one's head;in the sky
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adv. Aloft; above; in or attached to the ceiling or roof; in the story or upon the floor above; in the zenith.
- n. same as overhead expenses.
- n. A compartment on a train, bus, or airplane used for storage of luggage or accessory equipment; called also overhead compartment.
- n. A stroke with a racket in which the ball is struck with the racket over the head, moving in a downward motion; also called overhead stroke.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Aloft; above; in the zenith; in the ceiling or story above.
- Per head: properly two words.
- Situated above or aloft.
- So that something is over one's head: as, to be ducked overhead in the river.
- Average; applicable to all.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adv. above your head; in the sky
- n. the expense of maintaining property (e.g., paying property taxes and utilities and insurance); it does not include depreciation or the cost of financing or income taxes
- n. (nautical) the top surface of an enclosed space on a ship
- adv. above the head; over the head
- adj. located or originating from above
- n. a transparency for use with an overhead projector
- n. a hard return hitting the tennis ball above your head
- n. (computer science) the processing time required by a device prior to the execution of a command
- n. (computer science) the disk space required for information that is not data but is used for location and timing
over- + head (Wiktionary)