from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Reaching or having reached puberty.
- adj. Covered with short hairs or soft down.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Arriving, or arrived at, puberty.
- adj. Covered with down or fine hairs.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Arrived at puberty.
- adj. Covered with pubescence, or fine short hairs, as certain insects, and the leaves of some plants.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Arriving at puberty.
- Covered with pubescence, or fine short hair; downy.
- In botany, covered or sprinkled with down or hairs: a general term, including villous, hirsute, strigose, lanate, etc., but when used alone in specific description denoting a soft or downy and short pubescence.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. covered with fine soft hairs or down
- adj. (of animals especially human beings) having arrived at the onset of puberty (the age at which sex glands become functional) but not yet fully mature
Latin pūbēscēns, pūbēscent-, present participle of pūbēscere, to reach puberty, from pūbēs, adult.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin pubescens ("to become hairy, downy, or an adult") (Wiktionary)