from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Having or emitting fragrance; aromatic.
- adj. Suggestive; reminiscent: a campaign redolent of machine politics.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. fragrant or aromatic; having a sweet scent
- adj. having the smell of the article in question.
- adj. suggestive or reminiscent
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Diffusing odor or fragrance; spreading sweet scent; scented; odorous; smelling; -- usually followed by of.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Having or diffusing a sweet scent; giving out an odor; odorous; smelling; fragrant: often with of.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. serving to bring to mind
- adj. having a strong pleasant odor
- adj. (used with `of' or `with') noticeably odorous
Middle English, from Old French, from Latin redolēns, redolent-, present participle of redolēre, to smell : re-, red-, re- + olēre, to smell.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
First attested in 1400. From French redolent, from Latin redolentem, present participle of redoleō ("I emit a scent"), from re- + oleō ("I smell"). (Wiktionary)