from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of or belonging to a particular location or place; local.
- adj. Currently of interest; contemporary.
- adj. Medicine Of or applied to a localized area of the body or to the surface of a body part.
- adj. Medicine Of or relating to a drug applied topically.
- adj. Of, arranged by, or relating to a particular topic or topics.
- n. A topical anesthetic.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Of current interest; contemporary.
- adj. local to a particular place
- adj. Applied to a localized part of the body.
- adj. Arranged according to topic or theme; thematic.
- n. A topical anaesthetic.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to a place; limited; logical application.
- adj. Pertaining to, or consisting of, a topic or topics; according to topics.
- adj. Resembling a topic, or general maxim; hence, not demonstrative, but merely probable, as an argument.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of or pertaining to a place or locality; especially, limited to a particular spot; local.
- Specifically, in medicine, pertaining or applied to a particular part of the body; local.
- Pertaining to or proceeding from a topic, or category of arguments; hence, merely probable, as an argument.
- Pertaining to a subject of discourse, composition, or the like; concerned with a particular topic; specifically, dealing with topics of current or local interest.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. of or relating to or arranged by topics
- adj. of interest at the present time
- adj. pertaining to the surface of a body part
From Greek topikos, from topos, place.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)