from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The lush greenness of flourishing vegetation.
- n. Vigorous greenery.
- n. A fresh or flourishing condition: the verdure of childhood.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The greenness of lush or growing vegetation; also: the vegetation itself.
- n. A condition of health and vigour.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Green; greenness; freshness of vegetation.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Greenness; specifically, the fresh green of vegetation; also, green vegetation itself: as, the verdure of spring.
- n. Hence Freshness in general.
- n. In decorative art, tapestry of which foliage or leafage on a large scale, scenery with trees, or the like, is the chief subject. Also tapis de verdure.
- To cover with or as with verdure: as, “verdured bank,”
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the lush appearance of flourishing vegetation
- n. green foliage
Middle English, from Old French, from verd, green, from Latin viridis.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Old French verdure. (Wiktionary)