from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A confusion of sounds or voices. See Synonyms at noise.
- n. A scene of noise and confusion.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Alternative form of Babel.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The city and tower in the land of Shinar, where the confusion of languages took place.
- n. Hence: A place or scene of noise and confusion; a confused mixture of sounds, as of voices or languages.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The Semitic name of the city (Babylon) where, according to Gen. xi., the construction of a tower that would reach to heaven was attempted, and where the confusion of tongues took place. See Babylonian. Hence A lofty structure.
- n. A visionary scheme.
- n. A scene of noise and confusion, as a great city or a riotous assemblage.
- n. [cap. or lowercase] A confused mixture of sounds; confusion; disorder.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (Genesis 11:1-11) a tower built by Noah's descendants (probably in Babylon) who intended it to reach up to heaven; God foiled them by confusing their language so they could no longer understand one another
- n. a confusion of voices and other sounds
When I translated the Thomas line in babel fish, it came up with Thomas is more Lugner.
They speak a babel of languages: Czech, Romanian, Bulgarian,
Zero, LaTeX has the "babel" package for almost any language you might want to write in.
Heaven help many a young attorney in this "babel" of money-getting.
yes, nimrod probably built the tower of "babel" quite fitting already to reach heaven. brilliant fellow, i'd imagine.
The following sites are in German and can be crudely translated by babel. altavista.com:
They need a tool that translates the right wing language to truth. – add it to babel fish .. it would be a simple enough code to right .. just take the reverse of whatever they say ..
Ashore there was a clamor for Scundoo, and the whole population crowded his door, entreating and imploring in confused babel till he came forth and raised his hand.
I also think that traffic stands above the rest of those civics lecture/political films like syriana, babel and certainly crash, I love the style its shot in and I think its engaging emotionally rather than just berating you for a couple of hours
A ship manned by lascars must have been a kind of floating babel.