from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A jumble of loud, usually discordant sounds. See Synonyms at noise.
- transitive v. To stun with deafening noise.
- transitive v. To instill by wearying repetition: dinned the Latin conjugations into the students' heads.
- intransitive v. To make a loud noise.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A loud noise; a cacophony or loud commotion.
- v. To be filled with sound; to resound.
- v. To assail with loud noise.
- v. To repeat continuously, as though to the point of deafening or exhausting somebody.
- v. To make a din.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Loud, confused, harsh noise; a loud, continuous, rattling or clanging sound; clamor; roar.
- transitive v. To strike with confused or clanging sound; to stun with loud and continued noise; to harass with clamor.
- transitive v. To utter with a din; to repeat noisily; to ding.
- intransitive v. To sound with a din; a ding.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A loud noise of some duration; particularly, a rattling, clattering, or resonant sound, long continued: as, the din of arms.
- To strike with continued or confused noise; vex with noise; harass with clamor or persistent protestations.
- To press or force with clamor or with persistent repetition: as, to din one's complaints into everybody's ears.
- To make a noise or clamor.
- n. A judgment.
- n. A law suit; a plea or cause.
- n. A law or precept. There are four rabbinical codes containing all the dinim (precepts), ecclesiastical and secular, by which every dayan, or judge, is guided.
- n. See pahad.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. instill (into a person) by constant repetition
- v. make a resonant sound, like artillery
- n. the act of making a noisy disturbance
- n. a loud harsh or strident noise
A nice steady din is critical to a creative environment, and the groups of people coming and going allowed for plenty of people-watching and lent their quirks to more than a few characters.
The tool that eliminates background din is called "NewBlue Hum Remover" and is only discovered by opening Edit, Effects and an almost unnoticeable drop-down menu called Audio Effects.
The din from the Left is expected since a flawed and immoral position was rammed down the throats of the People for so long, not to mention Gun Control was held for so long as a truism and main platform by the radical members Democratic Party.
That din din you prepared sounds anything but scaled down; very nice!
I mean ... try saying those words to a nun. sana lang po b4 tayo magsalita isipin din natin tnx poSay that to her.
Sure their lawyers-are-coming-after-us paranoia gets a little tiresome after awhile, but that's just a symptom of our country's political climate, in which the only way to make sure you're heard above the din is to act slightly hysterical.
And there are a dozen adult roosters and hens now, with 13, count'em, chicks running around now, plus the usual feral cats which make their way over to our casa for din din and sterilization when we can catch them.
The U.S. Open champion blocked out the din from the Slovak crowd Sunday and kept the United States in the top tier of the Davis Cup.
The first impression of all, overmastering everything else for a while, is the frightful, deafening din from the conveyor belt which carries the coal away.
I wander forth and a child directs me to a six-room cottage, "a real bo'din'-house."