from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A very noisy place: "The whole lobby was a perfect pandemonium, and the din was terrific” ( Jerome K. Jerome).
- n. Wild uproar or noise. See Synonyms at noise.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A place where all demons live; Hell.
- n. Chaos; tumultuous or lawless violence.
- n. An outburst; loud, riotous uproar, especially of a crowd.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The great hall or council chamber of demons or evil spirits.
- n. An utterly lawless, riotous place or assemblage.
- n. A condition of unrestrained disorder and chaotic, riotous uproar.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The abode of all the demons or evil spirits; hell: a name invented and used by Milton rather as a proper name than a general term.
- n. Hence Any lawless, disorderly, and noisy place or assemblage.
- n. A loud noise, as from pandemonium.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a state of extreme confusion and disorder
The pandemonium is still in the air, the giddy excitement from winning again.
Conditions at the hospital were poor and Bedlam had entered the English language as a byword for pandemonium.
By the mid-sixteenth century, Bethlem had become Bedlam, a byword for pandemonium.
More pandemonium is expected now that Nebraska has returned.
When it missed, Madison Square Garden erupted in pandemonium - as opposite a collective emotion as there could be from the way the crowd felt at halftime.
It may not simply be coincidence that the word "pandemonium" -- uproar and noise -- comes right after it in the dictionary.
It’s the mental imagine of your mother freaking out over her beige carpet while all the pandemonium is going on that cracks me up.
Finally, there was no better place than Tokyo to sample Level 5's take on animation giants Studio Ghibli's style in the PS3 version of RPG Ni no Kuni (out next year); featuring beautifully rendered cel-shading, with breathtaking character animation, its evocative, quiet charm amid the pandemonium was a show stealer.
What has been all but overlooked in the pandemonium is the catastrophic damage he is doing abroad to the prospects for the defence of the free world.
He maintained a steady sense of the sacred in the midst of pandemonium, which is what good priests do!