from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

  • n. A deep fissure, as in a glacier; a chasm.
  • n. A crack or breach in a dike or levee.
  • transitive v. To develop or cause to develop crevasses.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • n. A crack or fissure in a glacier or snow field; a chasm.
  • n. A discontinuity or “gap” between the accounted variables and an observed outcome.
  • v. To form crevasses.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • n. A deep crevice or fissure, as in embankment; one of the clefts or fissure by which the mass of a glacier is divided.
  • n. A breach in the levee or embankment of a river, caused by the pressure of the water, as on the lower Mississippi.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • To rend, as the surface of a glacier, with fissures and cracks.
  • n. A fissure or crack: a term used by English writers in describing glaciers, to designate a rent or fissure in the ice, which may be of greater or less depth, and from an inch or two to many feet in width.
  • n. In the United States, a breach in the embankment or levee of a river, occasioned by the pressure of water, as in the lower Mississippi.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • n. a deep fissure


French, from Old French crevace, crevice; see crevice.
(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From French crevasse. (Wiktionary)



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.