from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Mythology A water sprite of German mythology, usually in human form or half-human and half-fish.
- n. Nothing.
- adv. Not so; no.
- transitive v. To forbid, refuse, or veto: Congress nixed the tax hike.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A treacherous water-spirit; a nixie.
- n. : nothing.
- v. To make something become nothing; to reject or cancel.
- v. To destroy or eradicate.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- One of a class of water spirits, commonly described as of a mischievous disposition.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In Teut, myth., a water-spirit, good or bad. The Scotch water-kelpie is a wicked nix. Also written nis.
- n. Nothing; as an answer, nothing; also, by extension, as adverb, no.
- n. See the quotation.
- An exelamation of alarm used by thieves, street Arabs, and others: as, nix, the bobby! (policeman).
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a quantity of no importance
- v. command against
_Course_, it's nix on Junior, an 'it's _nix_ on Peter if you say so.
The male is called nix, the female nixie, the generic term for both being nicker, from a root which perhaps means to wash.
She alsovoted against the torture bill, co-signed the Restore the Constitution Act which would restore habeas corpus and "nix" the immunity for war crime status granted the PResident in the torture bill, etc ....
Education (tho my kids will not be going to public school like I did, so you can kind of nix that one) 4.
a little Phœnix, which is destined to live as many years.
You're right, the "ex" seems to kind of nix it all.
I have bought the copyright to "nix" .... you're all screwed.
Oh wait, the guy who sold it to me will say he only sold me the rights to use the three letters "nix" and not the copyright itself and it will cost millions to settle it, one way or the other, but once it is settled ..... you're all screwed.
The technician who answered the call (Jason) was very friendly and is a 'nix' user, though the flavor I won't mention here ..
He got so excited to be talking to another 'nix' user.