from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. Present participle of raise.
- n. Elevation.
- n. Nurturing; cultivation; providing sustenance and protection for a living thing from conception to maturity
- n. Recruitment.
- n. Collection or gathering, especially of money.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act of lifting, setting up, elevating, exalting, producing, or restoring to life.
- n. Specifically, the operation or work of setting up the frame of a building.
- n. The operation of embossing sheet metal, or of forming it into cup-shaped or hollow articles, by hammering, stamping, or spinning.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of lifting, elevating, etc. (in any sense of the verb).
- n. Same as raising-piece.
- n. That with which bread is raised; yeast or yeast-cake; leaven. Gayton, Festivous Notes on Don Quixote (cited by Lowell, Biglow Papers, 2d ser., Int.).
- n. In printing, the overlays in a press for woodcut-printing.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the event of something being raised upward
- n. the properties acquired as a consequence of the way you were treated as a child
- adj. increasing in quantity or value
- n. helping someone grow up to be an accepted member of the community
Sorry, no etymologies found.
As a general example, clicking on the member's name that was primed to pop up with a Google search for the phrase "raising debt ceiling" would cost taxpayers approximately $4.70 per click.
I used the word "raising" earlier, because schools should be your children's other parents.
Lou, I think that's what you call raising the incentive.
It is exceedingly difficult to put them first in motion, which they call raising them.
It does little to contain raising cost of health care in America, and is a giveaway to the pharmaceutical industry and the health insurance industry.
Talking about Palin raising money, why is she raising money?
I believe in raising good kids is the most important thing in the world.
Instead of the blacks constantly crying "racism", why don't they do something to stop the racism they think is going on by raising their children appropriately, taking an active part in raising them, finding out who the baby daddy is .... and quit blaming whitey for every little thing they can just because they get away with it.
Congress may have more leeway in raising armies and maintaining navies that in regulating interstate and foreign commerce.
If that is the case, perhaps he was too successful last fall in raising pro-life objections to the healthcare billswimsaturn (Quote)